Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Bad Juju Blanket

I am obsessing. I have started and then pulled out a blanket at least a dozen times. So many times that even my husband commented that I've been "working that yarn for awhile now." Sometimes it's impossible to find the right balance of fun and relaxing with challenging and interesting. Sometimes the cheap, junky yarn you bought just doesn't help things either.

When I was a kid, I was addicted to the Legend of Zelda video game. I would play as much as I was possibly allowed, and then lay awake in bed thinking about it most of the night. Strategizing. Figuring out how I was ever going to be able to beat that leader of the fifth underworld or whatever the current dilemma might be. And this sort of reminds me of that game. Will I do a chunky cable-knit, or a simple lace? A complicated knit and purl pattern, or just a stripe or rib? What is 8 times 4, plus 16 times 2, plus an extra 10 for the border stitches? Maybe I'm just really OCD, but each time I'd get about 10–15 rows into it, I would rip it out and start over.

So I give up. I'm making a diagonal garter stitch blanket and that's the end of it. I need to get this yarn out of the house and never think about it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment